9.16.2013

autumn baking kickoff - part 2

Super-Spice Molasses Cookies
I love for things that are meant to be spicy, to really pack a punch. As a rule, I always use lots of extra chai when I make my morning drinks, hot or cold. As such, I've looked for a while for a truly spice-featuring autumn cookie that is still soft and chewy, regardless of when it is eaten. And I found it all in this incredible and easy recipe!

Ingredients:

2-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp each: cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup softened unsalted butter
1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup sugar divided
1 egg
1 tbsp orange juice or orange liqueur
1/4 cup molasses

  • Whisk together all the dry ingredients.
  • Cream the butter and sugar together till fluffy, add the egg, then orange juice/liqueur and molasses. 
  • Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture. 
  • Refrigerate 45 minutes. (This is important because otherwise the dough is too sticky to work with.)
  • Roll dough into 1" balls then press into discs.
  • Cover with 1/4 cup sugar and place on baking sheet about 2" apart.
  • Bake on 350 for 8-10 minutes.

I personally think these are perfect for dipping in what I call "Snow Cream Steamers"...just a cup of milk with a tsp of sugar and vanilla extract heated up like hot chocolate. Excellent for snuggling up with a book!

3 comments:

  1. these look absolutely wonderful! thanks for sharing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Beautiful!
    Your cookies are as tasty as they look in this pic. Thank you for
    sharing your wonderful gifts....very yummy!!!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orange flavour in "gingersnaps" ... have never thought of that before.
    And I love that you put ALL the spices in! My gingersnaps recipe (which I never cook to the point of snapping, I like them chewy and soft) is one of the few that I don't follow to the letter: Always add MORE spices. Yumminess.
    Now I want to bake ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment! I really love reading them and look forward to hearing what you have to say!